I have always loved custard. It is a comfort food for me!
I get SERIOUSLY sick of bacon and eggs for breakfast. I tried this recipe, and it is my current obsession. I think I have had it for breakfast every single day for the last three weeks.
It is great as a breakfast, or as a dessert.
This morning I made a new batch, and added some pumpkin! Sometimes I will sprinkle a little Splenda brown sugar on the top along with the nutmeg/cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice.
I usually divide the pan four ways down the long side, and three on the short side, making 12 servings. With 12 servings per pan, the nutrition count ends up being 220 calories and 3.5 grams of carbs!
- 12 eggs
- i pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 pint water
- 1 cup granular Splenda
- 2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease a 9 x 12 casserole with cooking spray
- Crack all of the eggs in a large mixing bowl, and beat until creamy yellow.
- Add the pint of whipping cream, and mix to incorporate.
- Take the empty pint of cream, and fill with water.
- Add to the bowl and mix.
- Add flavoring extract and mix well.
- Place 9 x 12 casserole in a large roasting pan
- Pour custard in to casserole.
- Add water to roasting pan to about ½ way up the side of the casserole.
- Place in oven and bake for about 40 minutes
- Check custard with a knife inserted in the middle
- Custard is done when knife comes out clean
- Store covered in the refrigerator. Keeps for about a week!